Every summer I have a certain playlist or cd I listen to non-stop, last year it was Born This Way and that was all. Since this summer doesn’t have any sparkly new releases from superstars, I’ve decided to make a playlist of all my favorites and this post is dedicated to that playlist and why I chose each song and why they’ll be massive this summer.
1. Calvin Harris’ remix of Florence’s “Spectrum” – All you need to know about this is that it’s phenomenal, Florence’s soaring vocal mixed with Calvin’s production makes me wish for an all dance album from Florence.
2. Liquorice- Azealia banks — Banks is a force to be reckoned with, she’s like Nicki sped up, she plays with dance and rap like Twista. It takes about twenty listens to understand what she’s saying but her wordplay, humor and profanity are why I love her. And also the video rocks.
3. Call My Name-Cheryl Cole — I love Calvin Harris and this might be his best song, overshadows We Found Love and most of his own songs. Already a smash in the UK, it’s too bad she decided not to take this to the states, it would smash everything.
4. Lights-Ellie Goulding — This song came out two years ago so America is late to the party, but there’s no reason they can’t enjoy her phenomenal voice and pure pop-dance production.
5. Where Have You Been- Rihanna — Calvin Harris again, his joints are going to rule the summer, this is Rihanna’s best song and I wouldn’t be surprised if it lasted longer than We Found Love at number one.
6. Only the Horses-Scissor Sisters — Calvin Harris made this song but it’s a pure Scissor Sisters production. It’s campy, disco, and features falsetto and the end of the world, everything I love about them fine tuned by Harris.
7. National Anthem-Lana Del Rey — She’s taken over most of my year, she’s my OBSESSION. I love everything about and everything she does, but this song is pure Summer-pool-party jam, and the just released video is everything you could want.
8. Titanium-David Guetta & Sia — Sia has been breaking out this year, following her success with Flo Rida, David Guetta finally released this song as a single and it was so worth it. American audiences will eat this up, it’s everything one wants for summer parties, with a massive build up and a killer beat. I think Sia might have her first American #1.
9. Pound the Alarm-Nicki Minaj — Speaking of David Guetta… Nicki worked with him and released one of her most successful singles (Turn me on) so no wonder half of her new album is pop, with this one being the best pop song on it, so expect to hear this everywhere in about a month.
10. Never Will Be Mine- Rye Rye f. Robyn — This song will probably never be big, which is sort of depressing, people want a perfect pop song, well look no farther. Robyn sings a perfect chorus and Rye Rye shows why M.I.A. would give a pregnant rapper a chance. She should go somewhere and I hope she does but until then I’ll be enjoying this song and playing it for everyone I can.